Monday, May 12, 2008

the sacred cow


I was doing some reading and I found this quote, I thought it was an interesting idea as to why cows should be revered.

"The human infant is fed breast milk by its human mother for under three years. After weaning, the cow acts as the surrogate mother providing milk for the rest of the human life-through childhood, adult age and old age. Cow is verily the mother of the world. One would be filled with repugnance at the ungrateful idea of killing mother, whether surrogate mother or otherwise." --Bhishma

3 comments:

carolinelovesyoumore said...

but here's a question, and don't get mad....just for simple debate...and i can probably answer my own question on this one, BUT...if you don't drink milk...is the cow really mother?

I mean...shouldn't we all just drink ethical cows milk...rather than massed produced milk from abused cows?

And actually, we're not actually designed to drink milk...it creates mucus and other bad things in our digestive systems....but...still.

other than those comments...i like this quote. It explains the Hindu idea of the sacred cow a little better...I always just thought it was because cows were ancestors...or something.

Vanessa said...

actually, I agree with you on all those. especially about that we as humans are not designed to drink the milk of another animal.

I may be wrong, but I think I read somewhere that milk was not always easily had. Because as a small farmer you had to wait for calving, then you had to share the milk with the calf so it would survive.

carolinelovesyoumore said...

i'm pretty sure money means more than feeding a calf now...which is pretty much the problem...money before life...and that applies to humans as well..at least in the US.