Friday, May 9, 2008

The Cough

It has become it's own entity. Almost everyone I know or have met this spring has endured some form of it. Last night I, I was in tears--I thought my head was going to explode with every fit, until Brett went and got me some serious cough medicine that knocked me unconscious (if he had just hit me over the head I wouldn't care.)

Today I still have a killer headache, and feel rather puny, but functional. However, I am always 'functional' when I am sick. I mean, I CAN push through work--unless I am on the verge of hospitalization--but I would rather not have to. I guess that is why it is so hard for me to call in sick to work...ever. Because I can be there, even if I am little more than a warm body.

As much as I like the extra income from my second job at Otherlands, I am wondering how much it's actual worth is. Being sick and not having the time to fully get better has really made think about this. If I go in at O-Lands in the morning (where calling in sick is nearly impossible), I feel I need to go to work at the tattoo shop that night, even when I feel exhausted--though, usually, if it is not busy THEY will tell me to go on home.

The extra income has also been the reason I have had the financial freedom to pay for yoga classes. However... I never have enough time or energy (the sick) to actually go. So what's the fricken' point?

And with the 16 hr days three days a week--I feel like I've started to look older.

I want your opinions.

(to the question: 'should I quit?', not 'do I look older?')


***Once I am over this crap (and my period) I am restarting the fast. I am quite ready in my head-- I just have to wait for my body to catch up. I have found sticking to a vegan diet isn't so hard (I have been vegetarian for over 12 years, and I am already lactose-intolerant)--and I think it is evening out my blood sugar. As in, other than the menstruation-induced cravings, I am not all that hungry. so, yeah!***

4 comments:

april said...

you know, i'm under the belief that you shouldn't sacrifice happiness for financial stability. although i don't live my life by that statement and so maybe i'm not in any position to give advice on the matter. i will say though that if you can pay bills and eat and be happy on what you'd make at underground, then you should quit (especially if working at otherlands is affecting you physically). you owe me two cents.

Vanessa said...

the good news is Karen FINALLY is going to let me off on Saturdays, plus, Nico is going to be back @ Underground by the 28th of this month, so we will be rotating extra days off though the week over the next two months. So, I am going to see how that works out before I make any decisions.

Your two cents will be forthcoming.

april said...

oh, well that's nice then, yes? rash decisions should also be avoided. good for you.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that your work load will be lightening. You'd never have a chance to get over the Cough or any other problems if you don't give yourself the chance to rest. And I want you to be better by the time we come home to visit in July. I don't want you getting me sick. Yes, it IS all about me.

Apryl