Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Bad Ideas

Around 8pm Monday (after a great yoga class by Yo) my body pretty much revolted against me. Not that I can blame it, I was not really fully recovered from The Cough, and I'm also in full-swing PMS. I started running a fever, and I thoroughly wished I could remove my head for all the pounding. Brett was very sweet and took me to get (veggie) sushi....the first true test of my veganism. I passed, but now without some (much)sighing. I'm going to give it another go, once I am all better and in more peak form. Like, when I am not craving chocolate like an crack addict.

Brett asked if I would ever look at him differently for eating meat now that my eating habits come from an ethical outlook. I don't believe that would happen. Right now, I can think of all the delicious food that I will never eat again. I just don't know if I could enjoy it, now matter how amazing tuna, and salmon,...and hushpuppies with tater sauce from Soul Fish...are. I would be thinking the whole time of how that egg made it from the chicken (and what that chicken had to endure), into the mayonnaise, to my mouth. And there goes any enjoyment of tarter sauce.

Now I am starting to get a bit more soapbox-y, but not about 'M-E-A-T', but about how as people we have become so disconnected from our food and how it is produced. We never know the who, how, and where of our food. And we eat it. put it in our bodies. I believe so many issues with large corporations and their insatiable greed would be tempered if we knew what we were buying. EXACTLY what we were buying and how it got to our hands. That goes for food and clothes and, well, just about everything these days. We would probably buy a lot less of what we do now if we understood what is sacrificed for "affordable" product.

7 comments:

carolinelovesyoumore said...

don't change your plans...but you could encourage bret and those of us that don't want to give it all up to buy 'free range' products. I always buy free range eggs and chickens because they are supposedly from chickens that lived a good life on a farm. they are more expensive...but they make me feel a little less like an asshole...of course...when you eat the chicken...you can make the joke that, 'this chicken was so happy, it gave it's life to feed me.' ha?

april said...

amen! i mean, i still eat dairy and eggs, but i agree with everything you said about how disconnected we are from what we eat. that's always a part of my explanation anytime someone asks why i'm a vegetarian. anyway, glad to see you've started a blog, dear! it will now be on my regular blog-reading schedule.

amycita said...

heyyy...i've been vegan for vast swaths of time before and it's really not so bad. you can eat chocolate (just not milk chocolate): wild oats has a nice variety of fair trade, organic, vegan dark chocolate. after a month or two, i've found that i hardly miss the meat/dairy products i used to crave.

BE SURE that you are getting B vitamins, especially B12! it's hard to get B12 from non-animal sources so you'll probably have to take a supplement (if you are still eating honey/bee products, you can take bee pollen). again, wild oats is a good resource for stocking up on B vitamins.

finally, what kind of lemonade fast are/were you doing? the master cleanser? lemonade, grade b maple syrup, cayenne pepper & water? I LOVE THAT FAST (and juice fasts, generally): i hope you enjoy(ed) it!

carolinelovesyoumore said...

upon reading the other comments from the other vegan/veggie readers...I feel a bit like a jackass. I may even feel a bit like Bret....which begs the same question that he asked. so...um...do you guys think less of me?

diana said...

personally, I love a woman who can handle a good tubesteak.

Vanessa said...

Oh well, shit. I ain't giving up tubesteak!!

wait, we are talking about penis, right?

diana said...

oh, sorry, vanessa. my uncanny ability to be completely ambiguous caused you to doubt yourself.

the other obstacle people must overcome is my sincerity.