Friday, June 13, 2008

GAS

I had been warned, but not prepared.

I know I had been told that there might be an adjustment period in transit to veganism--but oh! my-god! I (and Brett, poor soul) had put up with it for nearly a month, but it got to be painful, swelling, gut busting... and my cloths did not fit my bloated distended belly.

I went to the Good Life health store (wonderful people by the way) and he pointed me toward some vegan gas relief (that's right, most are not--??) and some digestion enzymes. These mainly help break down protein heavy meals, like beans, and wow, how they have helped.

As far as the fasting goes--Apryl may be right. There may be a greater force steering me away from this. Tuesday I took my bottle of lemonade to work at the coffee shop, took a sip and realized it was fermented. And not in a cool way. In a tart, fizzy way. It goes without saying, my taste for lemonade was not that great for the rest of the day.

At this point, I want to do it for myself not only spiritually, not only to cleanse my body, but also to do it because I set out to, and I want to finish it. I sometimes feel silly talking about it here, I know it can seem like just a lot of talk... but for me, now it serves another function. Saying I am going to accomplish something difficult, and daunting, and then doing it--start to finish.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

As I learned on a repeat of Oprah last night, you can accomplish things that seem impossible if you visualize them and keep a positive attitude. Also writing your goals down is supposed to help. For example, some women wrote a list of what they wanted in a man and put the list away. Lo and behold, in one to eight years, they found such a man. Despite how hokey these shows can be, a positive attitude can make things easier. And I'm sure writing about the fast and telling other people helps you stick to it. I believe that you will beat the universe and successfully complete your fast.

Apryl

diana said...

according to oprah, in one to eight years you will have completed your fast.

also... your lemonade was doomed not to stay pure. you've named your blog scandalous lemons, after all.

Vanessa said...

I will accomplish my fast by doing it in segments: one-three hours at a time. In one to eight years I will eventually complete my task.

carolinelovesyoumore said...

hey....welcome to the gas team. it's really really funny...every single time.

just angel said...

thankyo thankyou, i went vegan in may and i am feeling better in all ways but the gas issue ..my husband has had enough..hahah and beano isnt vegan. so thankyou for the recommended cure... your a life saver

Anonymous said...

would you mind posting the gas relief and enzymes which you bought and say helped? thanks!!